Recipe by Chef Boy of Dee's
my wife's family has a Hawaiian chicken recipe which we enjoyed, but decided to "Kick it up a bit" by adding some of Emeril's Essence. You can prepare it either way, but we prefer it spicy
For the Brine
- 1⁄2 gallon cold water
- 1⁄8 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup Emeril's Original Essence (either bought in store or use one of the recipes posted on Recipezaar)
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic (any other spice which appeals to you) (optional)
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits in juice
- 1 large green pepper (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill large Dutch Oven with the cold water Add Salt and the Essence.
- Stir to combine completely.
- Add chicken wings and place in refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
- Remove from brine, drain and place on rack in baking pan.
- (optional: if you want this dish to be milder, rinse pepper flakes off of wings at this point) Cook chicken at 425 degree oven for 45 minutes on a rack in a large shallow pan.
- Right before the chicken is done, prepare the Sweet and Sour Sauce by cutting the green pepper into thin strips, or small chunks, and thinly slice the onion.
- Drain the pineapple and measure juice, adding enough water to make 1 ½ cup of fluid.
- Combine the juice, pineapple, green pepper, soy sauce, cornstarch, vinegar, brown sugar, onion, garlic salt and ginger.
- Cook until thick.
- Spoon over the cooked chicken, return to a 300 degree oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve Hot.
- Also good reheated in a microwave NOTE: We baked the chicken in a pan and drained off juice before adding sauce, this came out ok also.