Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe off of an Indian dessert recipe page, and adapted it to make it vegan. It is perfect, I am a big lover of kheer and this is the perfect recipe. Enjoy!
- Wash the rice and boil in the water over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, until the rice is one quarter done. Drain in a colander.
- In a saucepan, bring the almond milk and cardamom pods to a boil over medium heat. Add the rice and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the rice is soft and the milk is very thick. Stir occasionally at first and then constantly when the milk begins to thicken, to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sugar or honey (if you are not making a fully vegan version), almonds, ground cardamom, and nutmeg and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and set aside. Sprinkle with the rose water and mix, you may add more rose water if you desire.
- Serve warm or chilled in dessert bowls.
Delicious rice pudding! I used rice milk with one tablespoon almond butter and reduced the sweetener to 1 tablespoon for 1/4 cup basmati rice. Also I used mace instead of nutmeg, but that's just personal preference. Loved the blend of nutmeg / mace and cardamom with the rose water! Thanks for posting!
Made for Choose Your Event Party in the diabetes forum.
This is fantastic! The almond milk gives this kheer slightly less depth of flavor, so maybe a pinch of salt would help, but it's very creamy and flavorful. It gets better the longer you chill it, too - the rosewater flavor really starts to come out. Highly recommended for those who are avoiding dairy!