I got this recipe off of an Indian dessert recipe page, and adapted it to make it vegan. It is perfect, I am a big lover of kheer and this is the perfect recipe. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the rice and boil in the water over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, until the rice is one quarter done. Drain in a colander.
- 2In a saucepan, bring the almond milk and cardamom pods to a boil over medium heat. Add the rice and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the rice is soft and the milk is very thick. Stir occasionally at first and then constantly when the milk begins to thicken, to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- 3Add the sugar or honey (if you are not making a fully vegan version), almonds, ground cardamom, and nutmeg and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4Remove from the heat and set aside. Sprinkle with the rose water and mix, you may add more rose water if you desire.
- 5Serve warm or chilled in dessert bowls.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding)
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.4
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 46.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 63.0 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods