1/1 Photo of Khachapuri (Georgian Cheese Bread)
1 hr 5 mins
Another variation on this specialty of the Caucasus. Serve with a side salad, and it makes a full meal all by itself. This recipe (http://bit.ly/eT2ODq) was linked from the Wikipedia article (http://bit.ly/hZ8FuN). Time cited does not include rising time (90-135 minutes).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 lb muenster cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb jarlsberg cheese or 1/2 lb swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in 1/4 cup water and let stand 5-10 minutes to proof until foamy. Add milk, 2 tbs sugar, butter, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead until soft and smooth.
- 2Grease a bowl with oil. Place dough in oiled bowl and turn to coat all sides. Cover and let rise until double in bulk, 60-90 minutes.
- 3Grease a 9″ spring form pan very well. Mix together filling ingredients until well-combined.
- 4Punch down dough, shape into a ball, and roll to a 20″ circle. Ease dough into pan (fold in half to lift and unfold in pan), letting excess hang over the edge.
- 5Mound cheese filling onto dough in pan and bring dough up over the filling, folding to make 8-12 evenly spaced pleats. Twist and pinch ends together in the center to make a rough knob.
- 6Cover with a buttered 12″ square of waxed paper and let rise until double in bulk, 30-45 minutes. Remove and discard waxed paper.
- 7Beat together egg white and water with a fork. Brush top of dough with glaze.
- 8Bake in a preheated 375F oven 40-50 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Remove bread from pan, place directly on oven rack, and bake for an additional 5 minutes to brown bottom crust.
- 9Cool on rack at least 45 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Khachapuri (Georgian Cheese Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 680.7
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.0 g
- Saturated Fat 24.7 g
- Cholesterol 163.4 mg
- Sodium 839.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 30.4 g