Prep 4 hrs 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
My best-to-date copycat recipe for replicating KFC's 'Extra Crispy' chicken. Note: This recipe requires 1/2 cup of my Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat). Yields one batch fried chicken (8-10 pieces, or up to 16 drumsticks). For a bulk mix of this same recipe for quick and easy breading, use Bulk KFC Extra Crispy Seasoning (Copycat). PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
- 1 premium quality fresh young roasting chicken, cut-up
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 tablespoons morton lite salt
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup seasoning (Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat))
- 4 teaspoons cornflour or 4 teaspoons masa harina
- 1 tablespoon ground tellicherry black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon citric acid
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 3⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed cornstarch
- 4 quarts water
DEEP-FRYING FAT (I USE PEANUT OIL)
- vegetable oil or vegetable shortening
- NOTES: USE ONLY SELF-RISING FLOUR (MAKE YOUR OWN, IF NECESSARY, FOLLOWING A TRUSTED RECIPE). YOU MAY USE MASA HARINA FLOUR (TAMALE FLOUR) IN PLACE OF CORN FLOUR. YOU MAY USE 1/4 TEASPOON LEMON PEPPER IN PLACE OF 1/8 TEASPOON CITRIC ACID. (STEP ONE): RINSE and blot chicken pieces; MIX 2 quarts (8 cups) cups cold water with 2 tablespoons morton lite salt and 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning in a large wide saucepan (with an accompanying lid) until dissolved; ADD chicken pieces; COVER and transfer to refrigerator; MARINATE chicken at least 4 hours in refrigerator, turning chicken as needed. NOTE: FOR A QUICKER STOVETOP MARINATION METHOD, PIERCE CHICKEN PIECES WELL WITH A FORK, THEN HEAT THE MARINADE WITH CHICKEN, COVERED, OVER LOW HEAT FOR 20-30 MINUTES (TURN CHICKEN ONCE MIDWAY THROUGH).
- INTO a large mixing bowl, add the SEASONED FLOUR ingredients except the self-rising flour and cornstarch; BREAK up any clumps if present, by hand or using the back of a spoon; WHISK well with a wire whisk until well blended; ADD 3 3/4 cups self-rising flour and 1/4 cup packed cornstarch; WHISK mixture well until thoroughly combined.
- ADD 4 quarts water to a large bowl or saucepan for the WATER WASH.
- REMOVE chicken from marinade with tongs; PLACE chicken into large bowl containing the SEASONED FLOUR and coat well; REMOVE chicken from seasoned flour bowl using tongs; PLACE chicken portions onto a platter; REPEAT procedures with remaining chicken pieces.
- DIP one piece breaded chicken using tongs, into the WATER WASH to wet completely; DROP wet chicken into the SEASONED FLOUR again and toss until slightly clumpy (you may flick water into breading to get more small clumps, which is what you want); PLACE double-breaded breaded chicken onto a platter to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- PREHEAT manufacturer's recommended amount of pure shortening or vegetable oil (or a blend of both) in deep-fryer to 315°F (OR) preheat enough fat to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot to 315°F - 325°F (use a heat-safe thermometer to gauge).
- PLACE breaded chicken to the elevated fry basket in deep-fryer without crowding; LOWER the basket slowly into the hot fat (or gently lower breaded chicken pieces using tongs into stovetop pot, turning once halfway through frying duration).
- FRY chicken between 16-20 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on chicken portions/sizes (juices should run clear when chicken is done).
- DRAIN on a wire rack over a paper towel-lined baking sheet; REPEAT the same cooking procedures until all chicken is fried. DRAIN chicken on a wire rack over a paper towel-lined baking sheet; TRANSFER rack over a baking sheet and keep chicken warmed in a preheated 170°F oven until serving.
- SERVE and enjoy!
Wow. I have not made this particular recipe, but I do make fried chicken often. I just have to respond to these ridiculous comments. Did ya'll even bother to read the note from Spice Guru? The nutritional information is NOT correct. MSG is just a flavor enhancer. You do not have to add it. I don't and my chicken turns out great. If you are concerned about calories, you should not even be looking at fried chicken recipes. To all members of the "Food Police" - why don't you just stick with celery and carrots and leave REAL food to those of us who appreciate it?
Awesome Recipe!! So detailed on how it's made..Great job!! Looking forward to more from you..To all you Nay Sayers out there....Seriously???? Worried about calories and unhealthy eating but you seek out a KFC Extra Crispy Recipe??? What'd you think the coating was made with....ground up cardboard??? Wow!! Want to eat healthy, stay slim but look for foods like this??
I wanted to try this even though the Calories are High, But I just could not get past the Fact that this calls for "MSG!" You know Accent, pure M S G.