Recipe by The Spice Guru
My best-to-date copycat recipe for replicating KFC's 'Extra Crispy' chicken. Note: This recipe requires 1/2 cup of my Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat). Yields one batch fried chicken (8-10 pieces, or up to 16 drumsticks). For a bulk mix of this same recipe for quick and easy breading, use Bulk KFC Extra Crispy Seasoning (Copycat). PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
Top Review by angela_may2
Wow. I have not made this particular recipe, but I do make fried chicken often. I just have to respond to these ridiculous comments. Did ya'll even bother to read the note from Spice Guru? The nutritional information is NOT correct. MSG is just a flavor enhancer. You do not have to add it. I don't and my chicken turns out great. If you are concerned about calories, you should not even be looking at fried chicken recipes. To all members of the "Food Police" - why don't you just stick with celery and carrots and leave REAL food to those of us who appreciate it?
- 1 premium quality fresh young roasting chicken, cut-up
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 tablespoons morton lite salt
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup seasoning (Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat))
- 4 teaspoons cornflour or 4 teaspoons masa harina
- 1 tablespoon ground tellicherry black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon citric acid
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 3⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed cornstarch
- 4 quarts water
DEEP-FRYING FAT (I USE PEANUT OIL)
- vegetable oil or vegetable shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTES: USE ONLY SELF-RISING FLOUR (MAKE YOUR OWN, IF NECESSARY, FOLLOWING A TRUSTED RECIPE). YOU MAY USE MASA HARINA FLOUR (TAMALE FLOUR) IN PLACE OF CORN FLOUR. YOU MAY USE 1/4 TEASPOON LEMON PEPPER IN PLACE OF 1/8 TEASPOON CITRIC ACID. (STEP ONE): RINSE and blot chicken pieces; MIX 2 quarts (8 cups) cups cold water with 2 tablespoons morton lite salt and 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning in a large wide saucepan (with an accompanying lid) until dissolved; ADD chicken pieces; COVER and transfer to refrigerator; MARINATE chicken at least 4 hours in refrigerator, turning chicken as needed. NOTE: FOR A QUICKER STOVETOP MARINATION METHOD, PIERCE CHICKEN PIECES WELL WITH A FORK, THEN HEAT THE MARINADE WITH CHICKEN, COVERED, OVER LOW HEAT FOR 20-30 MINUTES (TURN CHICKEN ONCE MIDWAY THROUGH).
- INTO a large mixing bowl, add the SEASONED FLOUR ingredients except the self-rising flour and cornstarch; BREAK up any clumps if present, by hand or using the back of a spoon; WHISK well with a wire whisk until well blended; ADD 3 3/4 cups self-rising flour and 1/4 cup packed cornstarch; WHISK mixture well until thoroughly combined.
- ADD 4 quarts water to a large bowl or saucepan for the WATER WASH.
- REMOVE chicken from marinade with tongs; PLACE chicken into large bowl containing the SEASONED FLOUR and coat well; REMOVE chicken from seasoned flour bowl using tongs; PLACE chicken portions onto a platter; REPEAT procedures with remaining chicken pieces.
- DIP one piece breaded chicken using tongs, into the WATER WASH to wet completely; DROP wet chicken into the SEASONED FLOUR again and toss until slightly clumpy (you may flick water into breading to get more small clumps, which is what you want); PLACE double-breaded breaded chicken onto a platter to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- PREHEAT manufacturer's recommended amount of pure shortening or vegetable oil (or a blend of both) in deep-fryer to 315°F (OR) preheat enough fat to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot to 315°F - 325°F (use a heat-safe thermometer to gauge).
- PLACE breaded chicken to the elevated fry basket in deep-fryer without crowding; LOWER the basket slowly into the hot fat (or gently lower breaded chicken pieces using tongs into stovetop pot, turning once halfway through frying duration).
- FRY chicken between 16-20 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on chicken portions/sizes (juices should run clear when chicken is done).
- DRAIN on a wire rack over a paper towel-lined baking sheet; REPEAT the same cooking procedures until all chicken is fried. DRAIN chicken on a wire rack over a paper towel-lined baking sheet; TRANSFER rack over a baking sheet and keep chicken warmed in a preheated 170°F oven until serving.
- SERVE and enjoy!