Recipe by Chef Goosebean (#699861)
Like all fun discoveries, this dish was created by accident: I made it on a whim while vacationing in Key Largo, Florida, out of "whatever was in the refrigerator." But who would have guessed that blue cheese and key lime are divine together?! This dish can be made with any limes, but Key Limes are sweeter and more fragrant. We also learned that partially grilling the chicken added a lot to the flavor!
Top Review by sltslt43
yum, yum! I tried this recipe and it was delicious, and my whole family agrees. I only had fat free plain yogurt to use and it was very good. Kudos to the chef for coming up with a different way to fix chicken.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 5 key limes, juiced (or 3 standard limes)
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, minced
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate the raw chicken breasts in the lime juice for at least 1 hour. Save the marinade.
- Using a large skillet, sauté the onions in the margarine/butter until caramelized. Then remove the onions, leaving the oils in the pan.
- Use a grill (or the skillet) to cook the chicken breasts until they are halfway done (still pink in the center). Remove the chicken from heat and let them cool enough to handle.
- Cut a horizontal slit in each breast to make a pocket. Fill the pocket tightly with the blue cheese crumbles, and secure the chicken with a toothpick.
- Put the stuffed chicken breasts back in the skillet, and add the leftover lime juice marinade to the pan. Cook on medium-low heat until the chicken is done and the cheese is melted (about 10 min.) When it's time to flip the chicken breasts, remove the toothpicks.
- Right before serving, put the sautéed onions back in the pan, and add the mushrooms, capers, yoghurt, and parsley. Stir them into the sauce, and then taste the sauce: Add salt or pepper if desired.
- When serving, top each serving of chicken with the mushroom/onion sauce.