Prep 1 min
Cook 2 mins
This is a variation of Alton Brown's microwave popcorn recipe. You will need a brown paper lunch bag, a stapler, two staples from said stapler, and the cajones to do something you have been told to never do. Put metal in the microwave box of death! I promise that if you only use TWO NORMAL size staples, your microwave wont blow up, catch fire, or send you back in time so you could accidentally become your own grandparent.The wavelength of a microwave is larger than a average staple, so it wont spark, but it will get really freaking hot, so be careful. Oh, it taste great .
- 1⁄4 cup popcorn (unpopped)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (popcorn salt if you have it)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- mix everything in a small bowl.
- pour everything into the small brown paper bag.
- fold top over twice. (Maybe three times if you have the larger size lunch bags).
- put two staples through fold at least two inches apart.
- Microwave on high for at least two minutes. You may have to play around with the time a little. If you microwave has a "popcorn" button, try that, but listen for when the popping slows down.
- when it's done, carefully open the bag, watching for the steam, and dump into a bowl. The bag will be an oily mess, so you don't want to eat out of it.
I made this last March 2015 and just got around to finding the recipe with my notes on it. The first bag caught fire! I followed the instructions carefully, even cooking less time than called for. By the way, I have been cooking for years and am not a novice. I then tried a 2nd and 3rd time, having to undercut the cooking time even more each time. While the 2nd and 3rd bags did not catch fire, I was left with many uncooked kernels and the remaining corn that had popped was mediocre at best.
I was just about to post a similar recipe but searched for it before I posted. I only make one serving at a time (portion control), I use 2T. unpopped corn, a few sprays of butter flavored cooking spray, 2 packets of Splenda and a few pinches of salt. Mix the whole lot up in a bowl, pour into the bag and microwave for 1:30 to 2 mins. Comes out perfectly salty/sweet. And BTW, I don't find any need to staple the bag shut. Just fold the top tightly and it won't open op on you.
Yummy! I had this for "dinner" on Friday night as I watched the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics. (To complete my dinner, I had brownies.) BTW, I used my "back to basics" brand microwave popper with this method: Added the oil, sugar and salt and stirred well. Added in the popcorn and stirred to coat. I popped for 2 minutes 30 seconds.