Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is another recipe I found on food blogger, Kitchen Chick's site. This is a recipe she found in Kitty Morse's The Vegetarian Table: North Africa, cookbook. Here is what is stated about the bread recipe: "Most recipes I've seen for Moroccan Bread usually use whole wheat flour or a blend of whole wheat and white flour. This recipe from Kitty Morse uses all white flour and is very light textured." The recipe is written with instructions for using a mixer with a dough hook, but can be used with a bread machine on dough cycle or by hand. Time doesn't include rising time.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (105 - 115 F)
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal, for dusting
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast with 1/4 cup warm water. Stir in the sugar. Set aside until the mixture starts to bubble (10-15 minutes).
- In a mixer with a dough hook, mix the flour, 1/3 cup cornmeal, and salt. (Or sift together.) Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture and melted butter. Knead, gradually adding the remaining 2 cups water as needed until the dough is smooth and elastic to the touch (8 to 10 minutes). (Note: you probably won't need all 2 cups.).
- Grease two baking sheets and dust them with the 1 Tbs cornmeal. Separate dough into 2 balls of equal size and set each ball on a baking sheet. Press them into circles 8 inches in diameter. Sprinkle 1 tsp of sesame seeds over each loaf, gently pressing them into the dough. Cover the dough with a towel and set aside in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour. Can take longer).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prick the top of each kesra with the tines of a fork. Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 375 and bake until crusty and golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Very simple, basic bread, great for soup. I cut recipe in half and still had a lot of bread. Will be making this again. Made for ZWT 9.