Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3 slices bread, torn into bite size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pie: Place bread in mixing bowl.
- add milk.
- Add rice, mix well by hand.
- Add sugar, applesauce, eggs& vanilla, mixing well each ingredient.
- Add oil, reserving enough to grease pie pan.
- Beat by hand for 1 minute.
- Pour mixture into greased 9" pie pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Glaze: cream together ingredients.
- Remove the pie from the oven, spread with glaze and return to oven for 5 minutes more.
Mmmm, this was very good, and I did go with the 1/2 cup of sugar as reccommended by Janice in Florida. It definately doesn't need any more sugar. Now I didn't have any apple sauce, so I used some Vanilla Pear that I made from some home grown beurre bosc pears a little while ago. I found the recipe for Vanilla Pears on this website...http://www.food.com/recipe/vanilla-pear-sauce-102709 which is equally awesome used for crumbles, by itself or in recipes like this one. I'll definately be making this again.
I made this recipe today and it was VERY good although just a tad too sweet. I will be making this again but next time I think I will only be adding one half cup of sugar instead of a full cup. Really a good comfort food, I highly recommend it.