Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
this is the very best recipe... marinading the chicken in beer makes a subtle, but crucial, difference
- 12 ounces guinness beer
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tamari or 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tamari or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 orange rind, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper, crushed (to taste)
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, for coating chicken pieces
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (for frying) or 3 tablespoons safflower oil (for frying)
- Mix marinade ingredients in a large bowl:.
- The beer, beaten egg, minced ginger, minced garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- cut or shred chicken [or pork] into small pieces, 1-1/2 inches at most.
- add chicken to marinade and let sit 6 hours or more, refrigerated.
- combine sauce ingredients in a pot: sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, minced ginger, diced garlic, zested peel of an orange.
- cook over medium heat until the sauce has a syrupy consistency and then remove from heat.
- heat oil in wok or heavy skillet.
- remove bite-sized chicken pieces from marinade.
- coat chicken lightly with cornstarch and fry until just light brown.
- remove and drain on paper towels.
- Just before serving, mix chicken in sauce.
- this can be served with/over rice and with steamed broccoli florets.
- i double the sauce and add steamed vegetables.
- the sauce is good on ANYTHING - for vegans, over fried drained tofu cubes -- .