Recipe by Baby Kato
This is the cake that I request for my birthday. It's so good, definitely worth the extra effort. I hope you enjoy.
Top Review by Debber
Outstanding! Excellent! Wonderful! While I didn't follow the recipe exactly (didn't have frangelica for example), I now have three volunteers who want this to be their "new" favorite birthday cake! The ONLY change we will do in making this a second time is reducing the amount of instant coffee to only 1 tablespoon (we're not big on coffee-flavor) OR eliminating the coffee flavor altogether and doubling the chocolate instead!!! Chilling is CRUCIAL...we had some before it had chilled all the way, and then had some again LATER (after chilling)...and the flavor had more depth. Anyway...this is DEFINITELY a "keeper." Good job BK!!!
- 1 (18 ounce) box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate, bittersweet, grated
- 1 tablespoon espresso, fine grind
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnut-flavored liqueur, frangelica
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, sliced
- 1⁄8 cup hazelnuts, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake - Preheat oven.
- Grease and flour two round 9" cake pans.
- Mix cake as directed on back of package.
- Gently add the grated bittersweet chocolate and the ground espresso to the prepared cake mixture, then pour into pans and bake.
- Cool cakes completely on wire racks.
- Slice each cake layer into two even layers.
- Buttercream Icing - Beat the butter until it is light and fluffy, then add the icing sugar slowly, until well blended.
- Divide the buttercream icing into four bowls equally.
- In #1 bowl add the melted chocolate to the icing, in #2 bowl add the coffee liquid to the icing and in #3 & #4 bowls add 1 tbsp vanilla to both bowls of icing.
- To assemble the cake, place first cake layer.
- on plate.
- Sprinkle cake with 2 tbsps of frangelica and spread chocolate buttercream onto cake.
- Top cake with second cake layer, sprinkle cake with 2 tbsps of frangelica and spread.
- vanilla buttercream onto cake.
- Top cake with third cake layer, sprinkle cake with 2 tbsps of frangelica and spread coffee buttercream onto cake.
- Top cake with fourth cake layer, sprinkle cake with remaining frangelica and spread vanilla butter cream onto top and sides of cake.
- Press the sliced hazelnuts into the sides of the cake and garnish the top with the ground hazelnuts.
- Chill cake in fridge for several hours.
- One hour before serving remove cake from fridge and allow to slowly come to room temperature.