Recipe by BamaKathy
My son asked last night, "Mom how do you know how to make this?" I said, "Hmm...don't know. Been cooking it forever." He said, "Well when I move out, please write it down for me. This stuff is great!" (Then I start worrying about him "moving out" someday, but my husband assures me the son will never leave as long as I keep cooking like this for him.)
Top Review by ChefRaylene
My dh loved this dish. He couldn't get enough of it. It surprised me how much he enjoyed this. I had cooked this the same night I made a chicken pot pie that i've been making for years. He wouldn't touch the chicken pot pie. I guess this will be our new favorite chicken casserole. Thanks so much for posting. ChefRaylene
- 2 cups medium pasta shells or 2 cups your favorite pasta, cooked drained
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces (or can use canned chicken as shortcut)
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- 1 (29 ounce) can mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mild cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can French-fried onions
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown chicken in butter until no longer pink (while your pasta cooks).
- Drain pasta, and combine chicken, pasta, mixed vegetables, cheese, soups, and spices into 9 x 13 glass casserole.
- Bake covered with foil, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, cover top with french fried onions.
- Return, uncovered, to oven for about five more minutes or until onions are slightly browned.