Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A lighter-than-air meringue shell with soft billows of creamy lemon pudding. Requires 3 hrs chill time. From the recipe collection of Bird's sister Kathy.
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Lemon whipped topping
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 300°F Spray a 9" pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tarter until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Spread 1 1/3 cups of meringue in the bottom and halfway up the sides of prepared pan. Using a pastry bag, pipe remaining meringue in a decorative border around the edges. Bake for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and lemon peel. Gradually stir in lemon juice and water. Mix well. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; boil for 1 minute.
- Beat a small amount of hot mixture into the beaten egg, then add that back to the saucepan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour into a large bowl. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Whip heavy cream until medium peaks form. Add powdered sugar and lemon juice and continue beating until firm peaks. Fold into the cooled lemon filling. Spoon filling into the meringue shell. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
This little pie is super tart - but yummy. I also had a problem getting the meringue out of the bottom. I used butter and then spray to fill in any gaps. I didn't have whipping cream so used a tub of whipped topping. Great pie for a person who doesn't like pie crust!
OH MY this is lemony. Great taste and meringuey. LOL I did have a horrible time with the meringue sticking to the bottom of my pie pan but am not sure if it was me not using enough spray or chilling to long or if it was the recipe ( I am leaning towards my error LOL) I could not find my piping kit so just piled it up a bit on the edges.When I made the filling it seemed like there was not enough and was tempted to make a half batch but thought NO I will stick with the recipe. I am so glad I did. It is a very thin pie but the insane lemon comes thru with a punch . I could not keep going back for just a little forkful of the leftovers. Just writing this review is making me drool LOL AWESOME lemon pie. Thanks for posting 2Bleu Made for Photo Tag Dec 2008