Persimmon Meringue Pie
- Ready In:
- 3 -4 persimmons (enough to make 2 cups pulp)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 pie crust, baked
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 egg white
- 1 dash salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- For the meringue:.
- Mix together cornstarch and cold water.
- Add to 1/2 cup boiling water.
- Cook over low heat until it thickens.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat egg whites, dash of salt, and sugar until stiff.
- Add cooled cornstarch mixture to beaten egg white mixture.
- To make pulp: peel persimmons and press through colander.
- Add sugar, mace, lemon rind and salt; cook over low heat.
- Add a small amount of pulp to butter and well beaten egg yolks; return to persimmon mixture and stir until slightly thickened.
- Pour into baked pie shell; cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread meringue on pie, making sure it covers the edges well. .
- Bake in oven until very lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Serve pie very cold.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe had a very good flavor, the persimmon shined through very well. The issues that came up only had to do with quantity. I would recommend making one and a half times the amount of filling, and double the meringue. My pie turned out tasting good, but looked so piddly because there wasn't enough filling or fluffy meringue for the top.