Recipe by Xshrimp1
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. This is a very versatile, hearty, satisfying side dish that can be served with poached or fried eggs for breakfast or a nice New York strip steak for dinner. It has lots of flavor, healthy ingredients and is easy to make.
- 2 cups Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1 cup diced green cabbage
- 3⁄4 cup dried kasha (roasted buckwheat groats)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced scallion
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice 1 cup of green cabbage into 1/2" dice.
- Slice 3/4 cup of scallion into thin slices and keep the white part separate from the green.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a small covered sauce pan and add 3/4 cup kasha and 1/2 tsp salt and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer in covered pan for 12-15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Grains should retain shape and be firm and not mushy.
- Bring large oiled (canola) nonstick skillet to medium high heat and add 2 cups Simply Potatoes (diced with onions), 1 cup cabbage, white parts of the scallions and 1/2 tsp salt. Saute in skillet stirring infrequently so all sides of the potatoes brown and cook all the way through. This should take 10-12 minutes. When potatoes are cooked stir in green parts of the scallions and the kasha and mix thoroughly. Serve immediately and enjoy!