Top Review by zephanie
We loved these potato pancakes! I especially liked the combination of of grated raw potato and mashed potato; it was neither too "cakey" or "hashbrowny." We did also add some minced onion to the mix.
- 2 1⁄2 cups potatoes, grated on medium grater
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 potato, Boiled, Mashed
- 1 large egg, Beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, As Needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate raw potatoes into water to which lemon juice has been added.
- Place potatoes in a strainer or cheese cloth and drain off liquid.
- Drain well.
- Beat raw and cooked potatoes with egg, milk, and salt to form a batter.
- Using 3 T oil for each batch, drop batter for 3 or 4 pancakes at a time in hot oil in a large frypan.
- When firm on the bottom side, loosen edges and turn.
- Brown on other side.
- Remove, drain on paper towel, and keep warm.
- Continue until all batter is used.
- Serve immediately.
- If potato cakes are served with meat, sprinkle with salt.
- Sprinkle with sugar if served with applesauce.