Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups potatoes, grated on medium grater
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 potato, Boiled, Mashed
- 1 large egg, Beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, As Needed
- Grate raw potatoes into water to which lemon juice has been added.
- Place potatoes in a strainer or cheese cloth and drain off liquid.
- Drain well.
- Beat raw and cooked potatoes with egg, milk, and salt to form a batter.
- Using 3 T oil for each batch, drop batter for 3 or 4 pancakes at a time in hot oil in a large frypan.
- When firm on the bottom side, loosen edges and turn.
- Brown on other side.
- Remove, drain on paper towel, and keep warm.
- Continue until all batter is used.
- Serve immediately.
- If potato cakes are served with meat, sprinkle with salt.
- Sprinkle with sugar if served with applesauce.
We loved these potato pancakes! I especially liked the combination of of grated raw potato and mashed potato; it was neither too "cakey" or "hashbrowny." We did also add some minced onion to the mix.
Loved this! I must say I did check this recipe out in a couple places and the recipe is a standard exactly the same everywhere I looked. But I must say I enjoyed my changes. I grated my potatoes in the food processor so they were a large grate. For the cooked potato I used leftover Parsley, Garlic, & Scallion Mashed Potatoes. I added 1 minced onion, a pinch of red pepper flakes and fresh parsley. When mixed it was not much like a batter so I blender about 1/3 of the potato in the vita mix then mixed it back to the main mixture. This gave me a nice creaminess and crisp texture. I sprinkled with coarse salt. I served these German potato pancakes with Apple Spiced Meatloaf not German but good comfort food! We Really Enjoyed!!!! Thanks MG!