Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Delicious soup. Quick and easy. My dad loves it this way. I usually serve it with toast and butter. This soup freezes well. I am guessing on serving sizes, I never counted.
- 1 cooked ham, with bone in
- 1 lb dried split peas (soaked overnight, water 3 inches above peas)
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup ham (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 cup potato (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 cup carrot (cut into bite size pieces)
- soak peas overnight.
- cook hm in 8 cups of water for 45 minutes. ( do not drain water).
- remove ham and when cool, cut meat off.
- chop onion and garlic in chopper.
- add oil, onion and garlic.
- cook for 5 minutes.
- add thyme, granulated garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves, carrots, potatoes and ham and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- add 6 cups of ham stock and peas ( drain water ).
- cook on high with cover until boiling.
- when boiling turn heat down to low and cook covered for about an hour.
- Adjust salt, pepper and if want add granulated garlic to taste.
- Cook for another half hour uncovered.