Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Inspired by a Bourdain show, this is a terrific tummy-warming meal for those cold, dreary days. Plunk everything in the crockpot in the morning and come home to a hot, hearty stew. Courtesy of Kari Diehl
- 1 lb beef stew meat, 1-inch dice
- 1 lb pork stew meat, 1-inch dice
- 1 lb lamb stew meat, 1-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 8 allspice berries
- 2 bay leaves
- Brown all the meat cubes in the oil.
- Place half of the sliced onions in the bottom of the crockpot, cover with half of the meat, and sprinkle with half of the salt, peppercorns, allspice, and a bay leaf.
- Repeat the layers.
- Pour in 1 cup water, cover crockpot, and allow to cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- If desired, serve over cooked potatoes, mashed potatoes or cooked rice.