1/1 Photo of Kanafeh or Kunafa or Kanafi
1 hr 30 mins
My Dad is Palestinian and this was his FAVORITE dessert. I had it as often as he could find it or convince my Mom to make it while I was growing up. I am surprised how difficult it can be to find this in middle eastern eateries. So I thought I'd finally post the secret recipe. It is simple and delicious. The cheese doesn't have to be goat, just on the sweet/not salty side, fresh mozzarella works, just soak it to remove some salt if needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) box shredded phyllo dough
- 8 ounces butter, unsalted
- 1 1/2 lbs whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 lb fresh goat cheese or 1/2 lb light cream cheese
- 1Make Syrup first:.
- 2Bring water and sugar to a boil, reduce heat.
- 3Add lemon juice and rose water (optional).
- 4Simmer until all sugar is dissolved, about 5-10min.
- 5Set aside to cool.
- 7Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 8Drain ricotta of excess liquid and mix with other cheese.
- 9Remove shredded phyllo dough from box and loosen shreds in a large bowl.
- 10Toss the shreds with melted butter to coat evenly.
- 11Arrange half of the buttered dough evenly on a 9X13 pan or baking dish.
- 12Spoon cheese mixture on top in an even layer.
- 13Place the remaining dough on top and press lightly with hands.
- 14Cover with foil and bake 30 min at 350°F.
- 15Remove foil and bake an additional 30 min or until crisp and golden .
- 16Serve warm or room temp with lemon syrup.
Nutritional Facts for Kanafeh or Kunafa or Kanafi
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.4
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 84.5 mg
- Sodium 463.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 13.3 g