Recipe by wendywendy
This is a delicious vegan soup for fall and winter--hearty yet healthy. The 8 cloves of garlic make it extra yummy :) I've added beet greens as well--and the more greens the better, IMO. Make sure you really wilt and reduce the greens so that they melt in your mouth... So delicious! Enjoy.
Top Review by sassynee
Very yummy -- however when I make this again I would only use one 15 oz can of tomatoes. The tomatoes were a bit overwhelming. I also added another bunch of kale. The one bunch about 4 packed cups I thought was not enough. I agree to make sure you really allow the kale to wilt. I even aggressive stirred the Kale while sauteing it before adding the broth. Overall good and easy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced rather thinly
- 1 head kale, rinsed, spun and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth (reserve 1 cup)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, undrained (reserve about a cup of the beans and liquid)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and carrots, and saute until the onion is translucent and the carrots are getting soft.
- Add the washed and chopped kale and saute for 10-15 minutes, until the kale is reduced and nice and soft.
- Add 3 cups of the vegetable broth, the beans (reserving as stated above), the tomatoes, and the seasonings.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- While simmering, use a stick blender or regular blender to combine the reserved beans and broth.
- Add the bean and broth mixture and simmer 5 more minutes.