Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Allow at least four hours for refrigeration before serving.
- 7 extra large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 lb european bittersweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon espresso
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
- Place egg whites and sugar in a mixer and whip into firm peaks.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat.
- When melted, add chocolate, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Quickly add vanilla extract, espresso, Kahlua, and chocolate butter mixture to the egg white mixture, gently folding until smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake on center rack for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Wait 5 minutes and press sides down so the top of the cake is even.
- Cool and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
- Remove cake from pan and cut with a hot knife into 8 pieces.
- Serve with fresh berries and vanilla ice cream if desired.