Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another recipe I copied from the Whole Foods Market. Great vegan dish if served without the garnishes.
- 1 medium kabocha squash, washed,seeds removed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 4 cups water or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- organic sour cream or grated mozzarella cheese or crumbled feta cheese, for garnish
- crusty bread, for serving
- Bring kabocha squash, onion, and garlic to a boil in 4 cups of water or stock.
- Simmer at a low boil until squash is completely soft, about 15 minutes.
- Mash the squash, onion, and garlic with a potato masher in the soup pot.
- Add the spinach and cook for just a couple more minutes.
- Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Garnish with organic sour cream, mozzarella cheese, or crumbled feta.
- Serve with a thick slice of crusty bread for a warm, satisfying meal.
What a tasty, warming soup. Very easy to put together too. We cooked the squash in stock and crumbled cheese over the finished soup. This was our first time eating kabocha, and it's delicious and surprisingly sweet.
I don't know how this received 5 stars I made as directed used half chicken broth half water it had no taste!! Added some chicken bullion it didn't help. Put it in the blender to make sure everything mixed well. Next thing I knew the blender fell on the floor, that ended that dinner!!!!