1/1 Photo of K-Jon's Spicy Basil Chicken
K-Jon Chef's Note:
This is my version of a Thai classic.This is a good and easy stir-fried dish and one of the favorites among Thai people. It is served over rice as a one-dish meal – for breakfast or for lunch, often topped with a crispy fried egg. Of course, it also appears frequently as one of the courses in a shared family-style meal. The smaller the chicken is cut, the greater the surface area to coat with the flavors of the aromatic herbs and sauces, and the more flavorful the stir-fry will be. You can also sub the chicken with ground pork, beef, turkey, any seafood, get creative!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons peanut oil, can sub any oil, for stir-frying
- 10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs (chopped fine or course ground)
- 4 -6 serrano peppers (to taste) or 4 -6 jalapenos, cut into very thin rounds with seeds (to taste)
- 1/2-1 lime, zested with juice
- 2 -3 teaspoons sweet soy sauce (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (to taste)
- 1 cup fresh basil, whole fresh leaves and flower buds
- 1 cup bean sprouts (optional)
- 11.) Prepare the ingredients as instructed. Leave the fresh basil leaves whole (no hard stems) the flower buds may also be used.
- 22.) Heat a wok until very hot. Swirl in the oil to coat the wok surface. Wait a few seconds for the oil to heat, then stir in the garlic, 20 seconds,followed with onion. Stir 20 seconds before adding the chicken.
- 33.) Stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes, or until most of the chicken has changed color on the outside.
- 44.) Toss in the chillies, lime zest with juice.
- 55.) Sprinkle sweet soy sauce over the mixture and stir-fry for another 15 to 20 seconds.
- 66.) Season to taste with fish sauce, then stir in the fresh basil. Toss well. Stir-fry another 1/2 to 1 minute, or until the basil is wilted and the chicken cooked through.
- 77.) Stir and transfer to a serving dish, or spoon directly over individual plates of plain steamed rice.
- 8Serves 6 to 8 with other dishes in a shared family-style meal.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for K-Jon's Spicy Basil Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.2
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 47.6 mg
- Sodium 398.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet soy sauce