Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
A new twist on this old favourite - it's baked in a pie plate with bread crumbs as a crust, then served up in a slice, just like a pie. Recipe from the famous "Junior's" restaurant in Brooklyn.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni (will yield 5 cups cooked)
- 6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
- 1 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Butter a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- 3Sprinkle bottom and sides with the bread crumbs.
- 4Cook the noodles as directed on box (al dente), adding 1/2 teaspoon salt and the teaspoon oil.
- 5You will need 5 cups of cooked noodles.
- 6Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 7Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in flour and remaining teaspoon of salt, dry mustard, pepper, and nutmeg and cook for about 1 minute.
- 9Gradually stir in all the milk and continue to cook until the sauce simmers and thickens.
- 10Add 2 cups of the cheese, the optional food coloring, and stir until completely melted.
- 11Remove sauce from heat and stir in the noodles.
- 12Spoon macaroni into the pie plate, mounding high in the centre.
- 13Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and sprinkle generously with paprika.
- 14Bake until the pie is golden brown and bubbly, about 25 minutes.
- 15Let pie stand on wire rack for about 15 minutes to set before cutting.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Junior's Macaroni and Cheese Pie
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.4
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 94.2 mg
- Sodium 1040.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 21.6 g