Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This can be used an an entree or appetizer. Recipe has only 5 ingredients! Of course, with the exception of salt & pepper. BH&G Magazine, December 2007 edition.
- 16 fresh jumbo shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, halved
- 1 1⁄2 lbs coleslaw mix (colorful, with carrots, red cabbage, etc. About 11 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Rinse shrimp; pat dry & set aside.
- In large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels; reserve drippings.
- Return 2 tablespoons drippings to skillet.
- Add shrimp to hot drippings; cook and stir over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
- Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Add coleslaw mix to hot skillet (add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional bacon drippings if necessary; discard remaining drippings)& cook and stir over medium heat 6 minutes or until coleslaw mixture is wilted and just tender.
- Stir in vinegar and chives.
- Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper & crushed red pepper flakes (if using.)
- Divide coleslaw mixture among 16 plates.
- Top each with a shrimp and 1.2 slice bacon.
- Makes 16 appetizer servings or 4 entree servings.
- *As an entree: Crumble cooked bacon and add it to coleslaw mix with the vinegar and chives.
- Divide mixture among 4 plates and top each with 4 shrimp.