Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This came from my friend Julie who was originally from Missouri however, lived in many places as she was married to a military husband. Julie doubled the recipe and I single it. The soup has a thin broth. Enjoy.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 2 cups water
- 6 ounces clam juice
- 8 medium potatoes (peeled, diced)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 24 ounces canned clams, minced, reserve juice
- 8 ounces canned crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- In a 3-quart dutch oven fry bacon until crisp and crumbles easily. (Remove bacon and set aside).
- Saute onion in bacon fat until tender.
- Add water, clam juice, potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender.
- (Do not drain).
- Add heavy cream, half-and-half and milk stirring frequently so it doesn't scorch.
- Heat to steaming (do not boil).
- Add clams w/juice, crab, bacon, butter, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes more stirring frequently.
- To Reheat: Only reheat as much as you can eat. Don't reheat the whole pot.