Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I make this at least twice a month, an easy scalloped potatoe dish that you can make into a traditional French gratin by adding 1 teaspoon each dried thyme and minced garlic and replace the Cheddar with Gruyere Cheese. You can also replace the whipping cream with 3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth making this a lighter, more healthful dish - without sacrificing the taste.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, snipped or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut the potatoes onto julienne strips.
- Place in a greased 2-quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Heat whipping cream and butter in a saucepan until butter melts.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer or until lightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve hot.
Absolutely love this! So tasty and so easy! I added a dollop of garlic and had rosemary instead of parsley, but it was just great! Thanks Porfavorcorona!