From her cookbook From Julia Child's Kitchen. The meat can rest after cooking, from 1 to 24 hours or more. Julia notes that brisket is never tender like steak, but should be pleasantly chewable and have a strong beefy flavor.
- 1 -2 garlic clove, pureed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 lbs lean flat 2-inch-thick center-cut beef brisket, trimmed of most fat but leaving 1/8-inch layer on the fatty side
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced onions
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 cups fresh Italian plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- In a small bowl, mash the salt and thyme into the puréed garlic with the flat side of a large kitchen knife.
- Beat the oil and pepper into the garlic mixture and spread this mixture over both sides of the brisket.
- Toss the vegetables in a large bowl with a little salt and thyme.
- Spread half of the vegetable mixture in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Place beef, fat side up, on top of the vegetables.
- Cover with the remaining vegetables.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil.
- (This dish may be prepared to this point in advance and refrigerated.).
- When ready to cook, cook--basting with pan juices every 1/2 hour--in a 300° oven 3-4 hours until a fork goes into the meat easily; by the end of cooking, the meat will have shrunk.
- **** If you are not serving the meat until the next day, transfer the meat with its vegetables to a smaller pot; degrease the juices and pour them over the brisket and chill, uncovered, until cooled; then cover and keep in the refrigerator up to 2 days. To reheat, put this dish in a 350° oven for 20 minutes, basting 2-3 times with its juices. ****.
- Remove the beef with its vegetable topping to a cutting board.
- Pour the juices into a saucepan, degrease, and rapidly boil down almost to a syrup.
- If you wish, you can thicken the juice into a sauce with 1-1/2 Tbs cornstarch blended with 2 Tbs of either wine or stock.
- Carve the meat across the grain into thin slanting slices.
- Accompany each serving of meat with 1-2 spoonfuls sauce and vegetables.