1/1 Photo of Julia Child's Smothered Beef Brisket
4 hrs 40 mins
echo echo's Note:
From her cookbook From Julia Child's Kitchen. The meat can rest after cooking, from 1 to 24 hours or more. Julia notes that brisket is never tender like steak, but should be pleasantly chewable and have a strong beefy flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 garlic clove, pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 lbs lean flat 2-inch-thick center-cut beef brisket, trimmed of most fat but leaving 1/8-inch layer on the fatty side
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onions
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 cups fresh Italian plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1In a small bowl, mash the salt and thyme into the puréed garlic with the flat side of a large kitchen knife.
- 2Beat the oil and pepper into the garlic mixture and spread this mixture over both sides of the brisket.
- 3Toss the vegetables in a large bowl with a little salt and thyme.
- 4Spread half of the vegetable mixture in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- 5Place beef, fat side up, on top of the vegetables.
- 6Cover with the remaining vegetables.
- 7Cover the pan tightly with foil.
- 8(This dish may be prepared to this point in advance and refrigerated.).
- 9When ready to cook, cook--basting with pan juices every 1/2 hour--in a 300° oven 3-4 hours until a fork goes into the meat easily; by the end of cooking, the meat will have shrunk.
- 10**** If you are not serving the meat until the next day, transfer the meat with its vegetables to a smaller pot; degrease the juices and pour them over the brisket and chill, uncovered, until cooled; then cover and keep in the refrigerator up to 2 days. To reheat, put this dish in a 350° oven for 20 minutes, basting 2-3 times with its juices. ****.
- 11Remove the beef with its vegetable topping to a cutting board.
- 12Pour the juices into a saucepan, degrease, and rapidly boil down almost to a syrup.
- 13If you wish, you can thicken the juice into a sauce with 1-1/2 Tbs cornstarch blended with 2 Tbs of either wine or stock.
- 14Carve the meat across the grain into thin slanting slices.
- 15Accompany each serving of meat with 1-2 spoonfuls sauce and vegetables.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Julia Child's Smothered Beef Brisket
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 585.0
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 187.4 mg
- Sodium 452.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 63.8 g