Top Review by OhMyStars!
Liked this with and WITHOUT the cream. A very refreshing summer soup. I ended up cooking this a lot longer than the directions stated, but that may be partly due to my lagging burner, lol. I really prefer to use cornstarch rather than flour for thickening and I had some trouble with the tomato paste/flour mix-perhaps just my inexperience with flour, but a bit annoying. In the end, however, the taste was terrific; the texture was very nice also, after I broke down and whirred in the blender for a few seconds before I sieved it (I did remove the skins first). I am always looking for ways to use up my bumper crop of tomatoes, and this tastes great even if it is a bit hard to make! Thanks for sharing!
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (dissolved in 2 cups boiling water)
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chopped tomatoes, onion, water, salt and pepper in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in a blend of tomato paste, and flour, then the chicken broth.
- Stirring constantly, bring to boiling and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Force mixture through a fine sieve.
- Chill several hours.
- Before serving, blend in cream.