1/47 Photos of Jo Mama's World Famous Spaghetti
1 hr 20 mins
My kids will give up a steak dinner for this spaghetti. It is a recipe I have been perfecting for years and it is so good (if I may humbly say) that my kids are disappointed when they eat spaghetti anywhere else but home! In fact they tell me I should open a restaurant and serve only this spaghetti and garlic bread. In response to requests, I have posted the recipe for Jo Mama's World Famous Lasagna that uses approximately 1/2 of the sauce from this recipe. Have spaghetti one night and lasagna later! Thanks to all of you who have tried my recipe and have written a review. I read and appreciate every one of them! Chef Note: After I posted this recipe I remembered a funny incident--my dear husband usually has a nice bottle of wine handy so when I make a batch of spaghetti I just help myself to a splash of it. On one occasion, there wasn't a bottle opened, but there was a bottle sitting on the counter so I got out the corkscrew and helped myself. For some reason, the spaghetti that night was the best ever. My husband asked what wine I put in it and I showed him the bottle. He nearly fell off the chair. I had opened a rather expensive bottle he had bought to give his boss. Goes to show you--don't use a wine for cooking you wouldn't drink. You get the best results from a good wine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g Italian sausage, casings removed (mild or hot)
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes
- 2 (340.19 g) can tomato paste
- 2 (850.48 g) can tomato sauce
- 473.18 ml water (for a long period of simmering for flavors to meld. If you don't want to simmer it as long, add less)
- 14.78 ml basil
- 9.85 ml dried parsley flakes
- 7.39 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23-2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.23 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 59.14 ml red wine (a good Cabernet!)
- 453.59 g thin spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
- 1In large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage, breaking up as you stir.
- 2Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
- 3Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
- 4Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- 5Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
- 6Stir in red wine.
- 7Simmer on low, stirring frequently for at least an hour. A longer simmer makes for a better sauce, just be careful not to let it burn!
- 8Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- 9Spoon sauce over drained spaghetti noodles and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jo Mama's World Famous Spaghetti
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 555.8
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 51.7 mg
- Sodium 2058.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 29.8 g