Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
The jalapenos give this casserole a nice kick to wake you up in the morning. I found this recipe at jimmydean.com, and I must confess the directions were confusing to me but maybe because it was 5am when I made it. I put half my eggs on the bottom, fit the bread slices in the bottom of the pan, put the entire sausage mixture on top, and covered it with the rest of the egg mixture. Whatever floats your boat...I figure it's all going into the same place (your belly). Personally, I'd use less than 1 teaspoon of salt (probably 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon), but you decide. I also found it needed to cook more than the 15 minutes the recipe listed and cooked it for closer to 30 minutes at 350. I've posted the recipe the way it was written. Let me know if you're able to decipher it better than I did. Enjoy!
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 12 -16 ounces hot sausage, cooked, crumbled, and drained
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 slices bread, 1/2 slice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the eggs, heavy cream, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl place the cooked sausage, jalapeno pepper, cheese, garlic, and cumin.
- Place a third of the egg mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish.
- Place a slice of bread into the dish.
- Place 1/3 of the amount of sausage mixture onto the slice of bread.
- Repeat until last slice of bread is on top.
- Add the remaining 1/3 sausage ingredients evenly across the top slice of bread and bake in oven for 15 minutes.