Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm a big fan of using Jello Instant Pudding and Cool Whip as a frosting for cupcakes, so I assumed there must be a typically-used fruity Instant Jello equivalent. Long story short, there was not. I put this together using some of the bits and pieces of recipes I could find, and some spur-of-the-moment thinking when I thought it was going to go all wrong. My first attempt was using raspberry flavour on chocolate cupcakes, but experiment with different flavours and see what you like best!
- Stir 1 package of jelly powder in 1/2 cup boiling water for 2 min., until dissolved.
- Add enough cold water to 1/2 cup ice cubes to make up 3/4 cup. Stir into jelly powder until ice is completely melted.
- Whisk in 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip Topping with a wire whisk.
- Refrigerate approximately 1 hour, or until it is no longer liquid (more like a mousse consistency).
- Break up the mixture a little bit with a spatula.
- Gently fold in remaining 1/2 cup of Cool Whip, blending until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost cakes or cupcakes using a knife, spatula or piping bag - whatever you use for normally frosting cakes!
I used this recipe to top my strawberry jell-o poke cake instead of plain cool whip. I used strawberry jell-o for the frosting and added some minced fresh strawberries too! So delish!