Recipe by Torricus
I'm a big fan of using Jello Instant Pudding and Cool Whip as a frosting for cupcakes, so I assumed there must be a typically-used fruity Instant Jello equivalent. Long story short, there was not. I put this together using some of the bits and pieces of recipes I could find, and some spur-of-the-moment thinking when I thought it was going to go all wrong. My first attempt was using raspberry flavour on chocolate cupcakes, but experiment with different flavours and see what you like best!
Top Review by melissamgills
I used this recipe to top my strawberry jell-o poke cake instead of plain cool whip. I used strawberry jell-o for the frosting and added some minced fresh strawberries too! So delish!
- 1 (85 g) package jelly powder (any flavour)
- 2 cups Cool Whip Topping
- 1⁄2 cup ice cube
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup cold water (approximately)
- Stir 1 package of jelly powder in 1/2 cup boiling water for 2 min., until dissolved.
- Add enough cold water to 1/2 cup ice cubes to make up 3/4 cup. Stir into jelly powder until ice is completely melted.
- Whisk in 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip Topping with a wire whisk.
- Refrigerate approximately 1 hour, or until it is no longer liquid (more like a mousse consistency).
- Break up the mixture a little bit with a spatula.
- Gently fold in remaining 1/2 cup of Cool Whip, blending until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost cakes or cupcakes using a knife, spatula or piping bag - whatever you use for normally frosting cakes!