1/1 Photo of Jben - Moroccan Fresh Cheese
12 hrs 15 mins
Found on Cooking With Alia, a site that has authentic Moroccan recipes. Alia says; "Today, we are making Moroccan Jben, which is a white cheese that is very popular in the North of Morocco, but you can find it everywhere! We eat it in breakfast or afternoon with Moroccan mint tea! this cheese is soft, can be made with cow milk or goat milk, and many people make it at home! I am going to show you how to make it in your own home. You can serve it with bread, with msemmen, or you can make as a filling for briwat! " I've posted the recipe exactly as written on her site. Here prep time is the heating time as that is all there is to it; heat and then drain! The 12 hrs of cook time is only standing and draining time (no work!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Step 1: Making the Milk Mixture.
- 2In a saucepan, on medium-high heat, heat up the milk with the salt, until it reaches a point right below a boiling point.
- 3When the milk is hot, you can see it starts bubbling a bit, add it to the cold buttermilk (Jben).
- 4You can flavor the jben if you want, I am using dried thyme. Mix well.
- 5Let the milk and buttermilk mixture sit on your counter for around 1-2 hours. You will notice that the mixture will start separating, there is a liquid on the top.
- 6Step 2: Straining the Mixture.
- 7To strain the mixture, I am using a cheese cloth (that you can buy in the supermarket) over a strainer, placed on top of a bowl (to get all the liquid that is strained).
- 8Pour the mixture on the strainer and cover it with the excess cheese cloth.
- 9Let the cheese mixture sit in the strainer (over the bowl) for 10-12 hours (or overnight).
- 10The cheese is ready after 10 hours, all the water is captured in the bowl, and you end up with the beautiful creamy cheese in the strainer.
- 11serve on a toasted bread, you can add some honey or jam to it!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jben - Moroccan Fresh Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (514 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.8
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 540.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 16.9 g