My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup finely slivered orange peel
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup dried barberries, cleaned and drained
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon persian advieh mixed spice (see Advieh)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons slivered pistachios
- plain yogurt, drained, for garnish
- 1Begin by preparing Basmati Polow (Saffron Steamed Basmati Rice (Persian Polow)) and set aside.
- 2Place the slivered orange slices in a saucepan and cover with water.
- 3Bring to a boil, drain to remove bitter taste.
- 4Place the orange peel, carrots and sugar in a saucepan. Add 1 cup water, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 5Soak the barberries by placing them in a colander fitted inside a large bowl full of cold water. Soak 20 minutes.
- 6Remove colander from bowl, run berries under cold water. Drain and set aside.
- 7In a large non-stick pan over medium heat sautè the sliced onion in 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil until the onions are translucent and soft.
- 8Add the drained barberries and raisins. Cook for *only* 2 minutes because barberries burn easily! Remove from heat; set aside.
- 9You, Dear cook, have two options for serving the polow, (assuming your rice is prepared):.
- 10Option 1: Mix the rice and barberry mixture with the orange peel mixture. Stir in the advieh and the nuts. Serve yogurt on side.
- 11Option 2: Layer the rice, barberry mixture and orange peel mixture. Sprinkle nuts on top. Serve yogurt on side.
- 12I prefer Option 2. Your choice!
- 13Cooking time includes preparing the saffron rice.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Javaher Polow (Persian Jeweled Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.3
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: