1/1 Photo of Jason's Healthy yet Tasty Sloppy Joes (Vegan)
Jason didn't like many vegeburgers or garden burgers when we were first trying to go vegetarian. He made up this "meaty burger" to fit his tastes and now its a family favorite. Has a little bit of a different flavor from most traditional sloppy joes, but we think the taste is outstanding! Use less cayenne pepper or omit it if you're afraid it will be too spicy. It's just enough spice that my kids aren't bothered by it, but I have a few friends that the spice might be too much for them. If you want to make sure the recipe is completely vegan, check the veggie burger cans because many use egg. The vegan veggieburger we use is only found here in the Philippines and I can't remember the brand name of the one we used in the states before.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (13 1/4 ounce) can vegan burgers
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can Hunts tomato sauce
- 1 small red onion, blended to liquid with just enough water to blend in the blender (about 1/3 cup water)
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon braggs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1Cook the blended onion and water in a large frying pan until the water is gone.
- 2Add vegeburger and oil. Cook on high for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 3Stir in tomato sauce until well mixed in and then add all other ingredients. Mix well and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4Serve hot on a toasted whole wheat hamburger bun.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jason's Healthy yet Tasty Sloppy Joes (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.9
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 666.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 17.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt