Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The original recipe came from eatingwell.com but with all the additions I made, it's now MY rice bowl :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup water chestnut, chopped
- 1 cup assorted mushroom, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon chopped red chili pepper
- Prepare instant brown rice according to package directions.
- Pour broth into a heavy medium saucepan, along with sugar, soy sauce and mirin. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add mushrooms to simmering broth.
- Stir egg whites and whole egg in a small bowl until just mixed. Add chicken to the simmering broth. Gently pour in the egg mixture, without stirring. Spr When the egg starts to firm up, after about 3 minutes, stir it with chopsticks or a knife. (The chicken will be cooked by now.).
- Add water chestnuts and heat.
- Divide rice into 4 bowls.
- Ladle chicken mixture into bowls.
- Sprinkle with scallions and chili peppers.
- We prefer our scallions raw, if you like them cooked -- add at the same time as the water chestnuts.
I omitted the water chestnuts because the ones we bought were in a sad condition, but aside from that, this was pretty nice, and quite easy to make too! It was a bit too soupy, but that might have been my fault. XD