Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not Italian but it is very good - your kids will love it. I ate this almost every day in the cafeteria at work in Japan. I do not like most Japanese food and welcomed something that I sort of recognized.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (16 ounce) can sloppy joe sandwich sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch dried fennel
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Brown hamburger.
- Prepare sloppy joe mix according to directions.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti topped with parmesan.
I came across this recipe by accident and it made me laugh because it is exactly what they serve over spaghetti in company cafeterias in Japan and also in small restaurants. I tried this version of the recipe (minus the fennel) and it was pretty darn close! The Japanese spaghetti they serve is thicker than typical here in the USA and it holds the sauce better. It is a very authentic recipe. Thanks for posting it.