Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick, easy recipe to cook delicious eels. Adapted from "The Food of Japan) by Takayuki Kosaki & Walter Wagner. For "fish stock," use Dashi if you can find it in your local Asian market--otherwise make your own.
- 1 lb eel steak
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fish stock
- Put sake, mirin, soy sauce, sugar, and fish stock in a pot.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer until reduced by half.
- Skewer eel steaks so that they will remain flat during cooking.
- Place eel skin-side down on a preheated grill; cook 3 minutes on high. Flip eel and cook another 3 minutes.
- Baste skin-side with sauce; flip and cook 1 minute. Baste meat side with sauce; flip and cook 1 minute.
- Repeat previous step once more.
- Serve hot over rice.