Da Huz's Note:
Quick, easy recipe to cook delicious eels. Adapted from "The Food of Japan) by Takayuki Kosaki & Walter Wagner. For "fish stock," use Dashi if you can find it in your local Asian market--otherwise make your own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put sake, mirin, soy sauce, sugar, and fish stock in a pot.
- 2Bring to the boil, then simmer until reduced by half.
- 3Skewer eel steaks so that they will remain flat during cooking.
- 4Place eel skin-side down on a preheated grill; cook 3 minutes on high. Flip eel and cook another 3 minutes.
- 5Baste skin-side with sauce; flip and cook 1 minute. Baste meat side with sauce; flip and cook 1 minute.
- 6Repeat previous step once more.
- 7Serve hot over rice.
Browse Our Top Japanese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Japanese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Barbecued Eel (Unagi Kaba-Yaki)
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.7
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 89.8 mg
- Sodium 663.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 35.0 g