Recipe by Coasty
A simple potato dish named in honour of Pelle Janzon an early 20th century opera singer. Posted for ZWT 6.
Top Review by cookiedog
This got a 2 thumbs up from Mr. Picky eater. He was literally scraping his plate clean. I didn't bother telling him it had anchovies. You would never know unless you were the cook! Not only good for everyday, I would be proud to serve these to special guests! Thank you Coasty! Made for ZWT 6 by an Unruly.
- 1 1⁄4 kg potatoes
- 400 g onions
- 100 g anchovy fillets
- 600 ml heavy whipping cream
- salt, white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 50 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into strips.
- Peel and cut the onions into thin slices, sautéing them gently in a little butter without browning.
- Grease an ovenproof baking dish and cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes, then add half the onions and half the anchovy filets. Another layer of potatoes, then the rest of the onion and sprats. Finish with a layer of potatoes.
- Flatten the surface, apply a few turns of pepper fresh from the mill and sprinkle on a little salt.
- Pour the cream on until it is almost visible through the potatoes. Place a few pats of butter on top and, if desired, sprinkle with some breadcrumbs. Bake in the oven for about an hour.