Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Absolutely delicious. Went you want something a little different and this salad hits the spot. Recipe found on Jamie Oliver's web site.
- 2 broccoli, large heads
- 8 slices bacon, streaky smoked
- olive oil
- 3 tomatoes, firm, red, halved and de-seeded and finely sliced
- chives, bunch finely chopped
- 1⁄2 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Cut the broccoli florets into small florets. With the stalk, trim and slice in half length-ways and finely slice.
- Blanch the broccoli florets really quickly in boiling salted water for 60 seconds.
- Drain in colander, then spread it on a clean tea towel to steam dry. (This is important because it will help the dressing cling to the broccoli). Once dry transfer to a serving dish.
- Fry the bacon on a medium heat with a small splash of olive oil until crisp and golden, then spread most over the broccoli. Any left over fat can be used in the salad dressing. Pour it into a mixing bowl with the garlic,Dijon mustard, olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk together.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and chopped chives to the broccoli and bacon bits. Dress it really well and check the seasoning. If it needs pimping up , add a splash more vinegar.
- Serve straight away.
This is definately a winner!! I cut this down for DH and I and instead of using chives (didn't have any) I used sweet onion that I cut in small slivers and then found out I was out of white wine vinegar so I used white basalmic which worked fine. This is another keeper and going into my Favorites of 2012 and I know we will definately make this often especially in the summer...no mayo. Served with Lime Salmon Fillets#256059 amd Classic Saffron Rice#113983 and asparagus. Thank you for submitting the recipe. Made for AUS/NZ Recipe Swap 2012.