This recipe is from Vegetarian Times.. To speed up preparation, use pre-grated carrots, available in most supermarkets. You can make fresh breadcrumbs by trimming and discarding crusts from firm, fresh sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and whirl in a food processor or blender until crumbs form. One slice makes about 1/2 cup. The salsa can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept in the refrigerator.
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced (about 1/2 pineapple)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro or 1⁄3 cup chopped mint
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion (about 4)
- 1⁄4 cup minced seeded jalapeno chile
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons jerk seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon. salt
- 4 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- To make Pineapple Salsa: Combine first 8 ingredients (from pineapple to pinch of salt) and mix well. If making ahead, cover, and refrigerate. Serve at room temperature.
- To make Jamaican Vegetable Patties:.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium-high heat in large nonstick skillet, add onion, and cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic, jerk seasoning and salt; cook, stirring often, 30 to 60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in carrots, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Stir in peas, and cook 1 minute more. Transfer mixture to large bowl, and fold in breadcrumbs.
- Put eggs and milk in bowl, and whisk together. Stir into carrot mixture. Form into 12 3/4-inch-thick patties, using generous 1/3 cup mixture for each.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat in large nonstick skillet; Add half of patties, and cook about 5 minutes on each side until golden.
- Transfer patties to plate; keep warm; Repeat, adding more oil to pan if necessary. Serve with salsa.