Recipe by Rockstarz Chef Michael
This is a recipe that I have adapted from an appetizer that I had learned while working for a five diamond catering service in Chicago. They would put the chicken on fresh baked crostinis topped with the salsa, but I prefer it as a meal over yellow rice.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 32 ounces jamaican jerk sauce (or make your own!)
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 mango
- 1 papaya
- 4 kiwi fruits
- 1 lime
- 1⁄2 cup spiced rum
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika (I prefer Szeged brand)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (32 ounce) package yellow rice (I prefer Mahatma brand)
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinade the chicken strips in the jerk sauce for at least one hour.
- Peel, pit and roughly dice avocado.
- Peel and dice papaya, mango and kiwis.
- Mince the poblano pepper.
- Mash avocado with the juice of the whole lime,salt, paprika and sour cream to your desire (I prefer chunky but some prefer smooth).
- Gently fold in papaya, mango, kiwi and poblano pepper.
- Add spiced rum gently but thoroughly, cover airtight and chill for at least one hour, but over night is best. (Here's a hint - if chilling in a sealable container, place plastic wrap directly on top of the salsa to prevent air from browning the avocado.).
- Bake chicken with the marinade in a glass dish covered with foil (make a few slits in foil for best results) at 300 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes making sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Make rice per package instructions.
- To plate up with beautiful presentation, spoon rice onto middle of plate, place 5 chicken strips over rice in a star formation, topped with a healthy spoonful of the salsa.