Recipe by katie in the UP
I can not wait until fresh cherries hit our markets up here!!! This recipe was in the Cooking Light Magazine this month!! I make a cream cheese...appetizer with cranberry sauce...I can't wait to try it with the cherry preserves instead!
Top Review by Chef PotPie
This recipe from the June 2005 Cooking Light also called for 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger. I made this today and canned it for holiday gift-giving. (Cook for 1 hour and seal in sterlized half-pint jars; makes 5 half-pints.) It will need some time for the flavors to marry in the jars, but a little was left over and my husband loved it. If you're sensitive to the spiciness you might want to cut the jalapenos down to two.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 jalapenos, sliced (seeds and all)
- 2 lbs sweet cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer about 50 minutes, skimming foam from surface occasionally (I find a 1/2 tsp margarine helps prevent too much foam).
- Cool; pour into an airtight container. Mixture will thicken as it cools. Cover and chill.
- I'm going to make a double batch, when cherries are in season and freeze a batch I will post later and let you know how it freezes!
- Times are estimated.