Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
My granny's recipe. Yummy!!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- Mix first 9 ingredients together in a bowl.
- Put bacon drippings in a 9x9 in glass pan or a iron skillet.
- Heat in oven until drippings cover bottom of pan.
- pour batter into pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Great recipe and the best cornbread I've ever had. I always thought my mom made the best corn bread but she just got bumped to second place. Sorry Mom. I made this to go along with some sloppy Joes but this was so good and we ate so much, it became the main course and the sloppy Joes became the side dish. Since a couple of reviewers stated it was a bit oily I cut back the oil by about one fourth and added a little extra butter milk. I served it with honey butter and it couldn't have been better.
This is the recipe I've been looking for! It is a bit oily for me so I cut back on the vegetable oil, not the bacon grease. It has just the right amount of heat and cheddar. I expected it to be too gritty without any flour but it has a good texture unless you like a high, fluffy, cake-like cornbread, but (for me) that isn't cornbread.
Thanks! Very good. I used 3 peppers instead of 2 and a little more cheese. Something was missing ... maybe a little flour? I will definitely make this again.