This makes a large pan of cornbread with a kick! If you prefer a milder version just leave out the peppers. It's delicious either way.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 sweet onion (Texas Sweet, Vidalia)
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapenos or 4 fresh jalapenos, diced
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Chop onion.
- Grate Cheese.
- Beat eggs in large mixing bowl.
- Stir in creamed corn, sour cream and oil.
- Fold in onion, cheese, and jalapenos.
- Add cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Pour batter into greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish and bake at 350º until cooked through and golden brown on top, approximately 1 hour.
- *Note*You may need to place foil on top if cornbread is getting too brown on top but not yet cooked in the center.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Everybody in my sorority chapter loves this cornbread. I took it tonight to our chili cook-off. We tried sending some jalapeno muffins to our soldiers in Afghanistan -- they didn't travel very well -- had turned green and fuzzy by the time they were delivered. Based on that experience, I would recommend refrigerating any leftovers.Reply
see 3 more