Prep 12 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from www.familycircle.com.
Make and share this Jalapeno Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted shortening or 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 4 -6 chopped red jalapeno chiles or 4 -6 chopped green jalapeno peppers or 3 tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers, drained and chopped
- melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl combine eggs, milk, and melted shortening or cooking oil. Add the egg mixture all at one to the dry ingredients. Add jalapeno peppers, stirring together egg mixture and dry mixture just until moistened.
- Place a greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven for 3 minutes. Remove from oven. Pour batter into hot skillet. (Or, pour the batter into an unheated, greased 9-inch round baking pan.) Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown. Remove from heat; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Cut cornbread into individual pieces. Brush lightly with melted butter. Grill directly over medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes per side or until marked. Makes 8 to 10 servings.