Prep 25 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Tasty marinated flank steak for grilling or broiling.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks, 1/2-inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1⁄4 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Score the flank steak with a sharp knife, about 1/8-inch deep, in a diamond pattern; set aside.
- Mash the garlic with the mustard.
- Stir in the whiskey and oil.
- Place steak in a zipper type plastic freezer bag. Pour mixture over the steak and refrigerate overnight.
- Set out at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking. Remove steak from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Grill, using charcoal or gas grill. Cook over high heat 3 to 5 minutes per side. (Or cook under broiler in oven.)
- Heat reserved marinade in small pan to a boil.
- Slice the steak by cutting across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices. Serve with heated marinade as a sauce.
Followed the recipe to a "t," and I regret to say this absolutely ruined a beautiful piece of flank steak. Tasted only of the whiskey. Dogs won't even it eat.
I didnt plan ahead very well so only had a couple hours to marinate the flank steak. DH put it on the grill after about 4 hours in the refrigerator and it was tender with a mild marinade flavor. We love garlic so I added a bit more and used olive oil instead of canola oil. Will make this again and leave in marinade overnight and I am sure it will be even better then it was tonight. Made and reviewed for Kittencal's Recipe Tag Game.
tasted like jack daniel's... which shouldnt be surprising i suppose, but that's ALL it tasted like. my boyfriend asked me, "did you dump a bunch of alcohol in this marinade? because that's what it tastes like!" uh oh