This is a dark red fish. Most people throw them back. Now I know why. But you can always use any fish you want to for the fish tacos.
- Fillet the Jack if small enough; otherwise, use a hacksaw to cut steaks 3/4 of an inch thick. Place in a freezer bag after barely covering the fish with buttermilk. Get as much air out of the bag as possible and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours.
- Take the Jack out of the bag. The buttermilk will be dark pink and the Jack will be about the same shade. Don't dry it. Put it in a shallow baking pan and bake it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Don't bother to preheat. When the 30 minutes are up, remove all bones and skin. Chop the meat.
- Dampen your tortillas with a little water and heat in the microwave.
- Lay all the ingredients out and let people build their own. Feel free to add guacamole or other yummy additions.
- The number of people you serve will depend on the size of the fish. Leftovers are great!