Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Vegetarian and McDougall friendly esp if you use homemade the whole way.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 hot serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup fresh green beans
- 1 crookneck yellow squash, chopped
- 15 ounces diced fresh tomatoes or 15 ounces canned tomatoes with juice
- 14 ounces low-sodium cream-style corn
- 14 ounces low-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed if canned
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, see note
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- Place all except the green onions, cilantro and lime juice in a large dutch oven. Bring to a boil, adding enough water to prevent sticking. For added flavor use a veggie broth in place of the water.
- Reduce heat to medium, cooking until potatoes are tender. Add remaining ingredients. Serve immediately. Garnish with slivers of fresh corn tortillas.
- NOTE: You can roast the chiles for a deeper flavor and less heat.
- The Mexican oregano, for those who've never used it, has a *very* different taste. It is perfectly suited to this dish and cannot be substituted.