Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a hearty, meatless vegetarian soup.
- 10 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup celery leaves
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed and chopped
- 15 fluid ounces red kidney beans, including liquid
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh green beans
- 1 large celery rib, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup tiny peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed 1/2 inch (about 6" long)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1/2 inch
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh basil, lightly packed then chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can plum tomatoes, including liquid
- 1⁄2 cup Coca-Cola (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup base (optional)
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- BROTH: In a large cooking pot, add water, salt, onion, celery and celery leaves, bay leaf and carrot.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Strain liquid and return to cooking pot, discarding the solids.
- In the meantime, prepare all vegetables.
- Vegetable broth should measure 8 cups of liquid, if required, add additional water to make up the difference and bring to boil.
- INGREDIENTS: Add kidney beans, green beans, celery, green peas, zucchini, carrots, onion, potato, parsley, garlic, tomatoes including liquid (crush tomatoes), COCA-COLA, Worcestershire sauce, chicken soup base, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper.
- Return to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve soup sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
The smell of the broth cooking was wonderful and the taste of the soup was excellent.
This soup is just plain wonderful! I started using the recipe shortly after it was posted and forgot to post a review as it quickly became a staple in our home. My parents love it! My son loves it! I don't use the coca cola and I sometimes substitute what veggies I have on hand for the other ingredients. The only place I DON'T fool around is with the stock. It's rich and wonderful! With the remainder of the soup, I often substitute parsnips or rutabaga or fresh corn. This is a wonderful end-of-the-garden soup and freezes fairly well. I would NOT do this in a crockpot. Plan to make this on a day you are home as you don't want the veggies mushy. You can, in a pinch, sub dried parsley and dried basil....but please try the fresh!