Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
An awesome, quick summer sandwich! You can use only mozzarella cheese, but I like the sharper flavor of provolone (or fontinella) added in. Some ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil and a crusty roll, and it's ready in 5 minutes. Ingredients are for one sandwich; make as many as you like!
- 1 crusty hoagie roll
- 2 small plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3 slices mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, approximately
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- black pepper
- Drizzle open hoagie-style roll with a little olive oil (on the inside).
- Layer evenly with tomato slices, then layer with mozzarella cheese.
- Place basil leaves on top of mozzarella layer, drizzle with a bit more olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
- Top with fontinella or provolone slices (or more mozzarella, if you like).
- Broil openfaced 4 to 5 minutes or until roll is browned and cheese is bubbling.
Yummo! I used a garlic and cheese pita bread and grilled in a sandwich maker.